Employment / Volunteer
Open internships, volunteer opportunities, regular full-time positions, and part-time positions.
Boston Lyric Opera is an equal opportunity employer.
Annual Fund Manager
Boston Lyric Opera seeks candidates to fill the role of Annual Fund Manager, responsible for creating new biographical constituents for donors and prospects and maintaining all levels of biographical and financial information. S/he will design and manage annual fund campaigns including direct mail, telefund and patron society membership renewal and acquisition; steward and cultivate Friends of BLO donors; and participate in BLO cultivation and fundraising events. Annual Fund Manager reports to the Director of Institutional Advancement Operations.
- Enter donor information into database, including gift details, name and address, and other highly confidential and sensitive information. Process and acknowledge gifts in accordance with approved turnaround and accuracy standards– with back-up support from Institutional Advancement Assistant and/or Patron Services Coordinator. Generate gift reports for Finance.
- Generate and file correspondence related to gift processing, including gift receipts, tribute notification letters, return check and incomplete check letters, and incorrect credit card information letters.
- Track and retrieve gift information; answer phone inquiries from donors.
- Coordinate with department staff to ensure accuracy of gift designations.
- Perform maintenance projects such as coding events, donor ratings, committee membership, leadership survey information, and updating and archiving data.
- Perform monthly financial reconciliations with Finance.
Annual Fund Campaigns
- With guidance from Director of Institutional Advancement Operations, design and manage revenue and expense budgets and strategies for Individual Giving ($1-$2,999) campaigns.
- Manage direct mail and telefund campaigns; set parameters for list generation and segmentation; oversee print, mail and fulfillment timelines with outside vendors.
- Manage patron society membership campaigns; work with department leadership to develop strategies and materials for renewal and acquisition; coordinate campaign schedules with subscription renewals; track and analyze patron renewal, acquisition and attrition.
- Track donor performance and explore new strategies to maximize revenue.
- Identify and steward the community of Friends of BLO, identifying prospects whose profiles indicate the potential for M&L giving. Liaise with gift team about patrons with greater potential.
- Participate in BLO cultivation and fundraising events.
Other duties as assigned.
3-5 years of progressively responsible fundraising experience. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Flexibility, attention to detail, bottom-line orientation and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high pressure, collegial environment. High proficiency with technology, including Microsoft desktop applications and Tessitura, preferred. Some evening and weekend work required at the theatre and events throughout the season. Knowledge and appreciation of the performing arts would be valuable. Special consideration will be given to candidates with demonstrated history of success in similar position.
Salary competitive and commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits and opportunity for advancement. Boston Lyric Opera is an equal opportunity employer.
Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: Annual Fund Manager Search, Boston Lyric Opera, 11 Avenue de Lafayette, Boston, MA 02111, or email Recruiting@blo.org. No phone inquiries.
Patron Relations Intern
Boston Lyric Opera seeks a Patron Relations Intern through August 2015. BLO’s Patron Relations Department offers events year-round for opera newcomers and opera lovers of all ages. The Patron Relations Intern will work closely with members of the department, up to 20 hours per week on a varying, mutually agreed upon schedule. This is an excellent opportunity for a student looking to add performing arts/non-profit work to his/her portfolio.
Patron Relations Intern will:
- Assist with writing and fulfillment of acknowledgment letters, event invitations, and ticket/subscription mailings
- Match and file gift back-up paperwork
- Biopharma and executive search firms
- Headshots, bios, YouTube clips, press quotes relevant to artists and operas
- Create list of opera/classical-music related events that other Boston organizations have publicized for the season, as well as arts showcase events that the City of Boston and surrounding municipalities are planning so that BLO can plan ad trades, performances, “street team appearances,” etc. proactively
- Cultural and academic organizations that tie in with specific operas of the season for possible partnerships/ticket specials
- Draft production and event press releases (to be filled in with additional detail later when available)
- Populate variety of online events calendars with performances and events (there is a spreadsheet on file with links)
- Help staff summer events
- Update media list with Facebook accounts and Twitter handles, as well as add new/other outlets not currently included
- Help organize press clippings archives
- The ideal candidate will be pursuing a career in arts management or marketing/communications
- Experience in marketing and/or development preferred.
- Excellent time management, organizational, and communication skills. Self‐initiator with real attention to detail and an artistic eye.
- Enrollment in an accredited B.A./B.S. program
- 1-2 years of related work experience or coursework equivalent
- Interested in the arts/non-profit sector preferred
Unpaid internship: Complimentary invitations to BLO events, T-pass reimbursement offered in appreciation for services rendered. Course credit available.
Send cover letter, résumé, references, and writing samples to Riley Cameron, Institutional Advancement Assistant, Boston Lyric Opera, 11 Avenue de Lafayette, Boston, MA 02111, fax to 617.542.4913, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. NO PHONE INQUIRIES PLEASE.
Boston Lyric Opera (BLO) is seeking applications for an intern in its Artistic department, starting immediately through early April, for various department projects. Intern will be supervised by the Artistic Coordinator and others, as appropriate.
The Ideal Candidate:
- A music, business, or arts administration major with an interest in learning about the internal operations of a leading Boston arts organization
Assignments will include:
- Research, file management
- Updating files and archives, maintaining databases
- Logistical support for rehearsals & performances: equipment transport & setup
- Assisting with Opera part preparation for the 14-15 season.
Unpaid internship; academic credit available as college/university requirements permit.
(2) Complimentary dress rehearsal passes for fall season production.
- Undergrad or grad student with music history, performance, or business course work preferred
- 10-15 hours/weekly on a variable schedule with some flexibility
- Computer literate with working knowledge of MS Office
- Excellent time management, organizational, and communication skills
- Ability to read music, with knowledge of classical and operatic repertoire
Send cover letter, résumé, references, and availability schedule to Jennifer Feldman, Artistic Coordinator, Boston Lyric Opera, 11 Avenue de Lafayette, Boston, MA 02111, or fax to 617.542.4913, or email email@example.com.
NO PHONE INQUIRIES PLEASE.
Boston Lyric Opera offers a variety of volunteer opportunities throughout the year. Ongoing as well as project assistance is needed in numerous areas including office operations, education and community programs, marketing, development, and artistic/production departments plus special events and activities. Volunteers with daytime availability and computer skills are particularly in demand. If you’ve got time, we’ve got the job for you!
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Juan Rodriguez at 617.542.4912 x221 or firstname.lastname@example.org.