Employment / Volunteer
Open internships, volunteer opportunities, regular full-time positions, and part-time positions.
Boston Lyric Opera is an equal opportunity employer.
- Director of Marketing & Communications
- Manager of Special Events & Corporate Partnerships
Director of Marketing & Communications
Functional area: Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Audience Services
Oversees all aspects of marketing and sales of the company including Marketing and Communications, Audience Services, Public Relations and Promotions. Manages a department of five including Marketing and Communications Manager, Audience Services Manager, Audience Services Coordinator, and Public Relations consultant. Reports to the General & Artistic Director.
The Director of Marketing & Communications is to provide dynamic leadership and direction as the Company moves into a new phase of artistic growth. S/he will manage all aspects of marketing and sales of the company including Marketing and Communications, Audience Services, Public Relations and Promotions. The Director of Marketing & Communications develops marketing partnerships and collaborations to support organizational goals; oversees technology strategies and enhancements as they relate to customer service and external communications; participates in strategic policy development as a member of the senior management team (with artistic, production, community engagement, development and finance departments).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Marketing and Communications: Responsible for planning strategic marketing and promotions campaigns, including all aspects of media placement, implementation, tracking, and analysis. Focus is on subscriber and single tickets sales and growth, building new audiences in accordance with strategic objectives, and developing partnerships. Responsible for creative development, production, and distribution of all materials and communications.
- Audience Services: Responsible for subscription renewal and acquisition campaigns, single ticket sales, and enhancing customer relationships. Projects and manages earned revenue including pricing, sales strategies, and fulfillment operations. Acts as primary liaison to theatre management for all front-of-house operations.
- Public Relations and Promotions: Responsible for existing and new media relationships. Develops short term and long term strategies to position the organization, generate sales, and promote the artistic product. Responsible for overseeing all aspects of printed and electronic communications, including design, content, and delivery of printed and Web-based materials for artistic programs, institutional identity, and fundraising. Boston Lyric Opera is an equal opportunity employer.
- At least 10 years experience in a senior marketing position or equivalent level in an organization with a $5 million or larger budget.
- Significant experience in or knowledge of marketing and sales, public relations, printed and electronic communications, and high growth organizations.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with Web-based communications, including social media, and office applications. Current Tessitura experience preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership ability; team management and interpersonal skills; written and oral communication skills; analysis, resource and budget management; and strategic planning.
- Personal/professional exposure to the arts, music, and opera in particular is strongly preferred
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
How To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Director of Marketing & Communications Search, Boston Lyric Opera, 11 Avenue de Lafayette, Boston, MA 02111-1736, o or fax to (617) 542-4913, or email to email@example.com. NO PHONE INQUIRIES PLEASE.
Manager of Special Events & Corporate Partnerships
Boston Lyric Opera seeks a poised and professional candidate to work closely with development staff, board volunteers, patrons, and development committees to plan both fundraising and community engagement events, as well as develop and manage BLO’s corporate partnerships. The position reports to the Director of Institutional Advancement.
Requires three to five years of experience managing special events or other related experience at an equivalent level. Special consideration will be given to candidates with demonstrated history of success in similar position. Flexibility, attention to detail, bottom-line orientation, general accounting/budgeting skills, familiarity with Tessitura or other CRM software, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high pressure, collegial environment are required. Knowledge and appreciation of the performing arts, opera in particular, would be valuable. Some evening and weekend work will be required.
This position entails two primary and complementary functions. Event Management is the primary focus and includes planning and implementing multiple, simultaneous events (approx. 20 per season) ranging from 15 participants to 500 annually. The Manager of Special Events and Corporate Partnerships Ensures that all events support both revenue and broader community engagement goals through budgeting, vendor negotiations, and event production. The Manager will additionally steward event sponsors and participants, and implement recognition and benefits.
The complementary focus of the role is to grow and manage a robust corporate partnership plan including corporate sponsorship and in-kind contributions.
The position is available immediately. Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include health and dental, disability and life insurance; 401(k) plan; and paid vacation, sick days and major holidays.
How To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Manager of Special Events and Corporate Partnerships search, Boston Lyric Opera, 11 Avenue de Lafayette, Boston, MA 02111-1736, or fax to (617) 542-4913, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NO PHONE INQUIRIES PLEASE.
Boston Lyric Opera offers a variety of volunteer opportunities throughout the year. Ongoing as well as project assistance is needed in numerous areas including office operations, education and community programs, marketing, development, and artistic/production departments plus special events and activities. Volunteers with daytime availability and computer skills are particularly in demand. If you’ve got time, we’ve got the job for you!
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Juan Rodriguez at 617.542.4912 x221 or email@example.com.