BOSTON LYRIC OPERA WELCOMES OUR
2016/17 SEASON JANE AND STEVEN AKIN
THE 2016 STEPHEN SHRESTINIAN AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE VERA SAVAGE
This cash award was created to help an exceptional young artist in the BLO chorus further his or her career by supporting advancement activities such as coaching a new role; taking a movement, dance or acting class; or paying a portion of graduate school tuition or travel expenses. It is awarded annually in memory of one of BLO’s beloved chorus members who passed away suddenly at the age of 29. Returning as a Jane and Steven Akin Emerging Artist for the 2016/17 Season, Vera Savage sings in the Carmen chorus while covering Mercédès, having previously sung in the chorus for BLO’s productions of La Traviata and Don Giovanni and, most recently, as Praskovia in The Merry Widow, for which she also covered the title role. Ms. Savage’s other recent performances include appearances with Florentine Opera, Opera in the Heights, and Opera Saratoga. Concert and oratorio highlights include singing Verdi’s Requiem with MIT, the Mozart Requiem at the Tanglewood Institute, and Handel’s Israel in Egypt with Commonwealth Chorale (formerly Newton Chorale).
- Public auditions allow hundreds of singers to be heard
- Role and audition preparation in one-on-one sessions with both BLO’s Music Director, David Angus, and BLO coaches
- Understudy key leading roles, serve on stage management staff and directing staff to broaden their resumes
- Perform principal and comprimario roles in BLO productions
- Additional paid performance opportunities at BLO events
- Professional mentorship from Stanford Calderwood General & Artistic Director
- Esther Nelson and other leaders in the field provides career guidance and support
- Feedback auditions with Director of Artistic Operations Nicholas Russell provide invaluable advice on repertoire choices
- Introduction of BLO Emerging Artists to key artists’ managers
Jane and Steven Akin Emerging Artists are identified during the casting process of each Season’s repertoire. The Artists have, in most cases, already established themselves professionally and are drawn primarily from the post-graduate and post-young artist fields. In certain exceptional cases, younger candidates who are appropriate for specific repertoire with the Company are considered.