Open internships, volunteer opportunities, regular full-time positions, and part-time positions.
Boston Lyric Opera is an equal opportunity employer.
Major Gifts Officer
Boston Lyric Opera seeks an experienced fundraiser to join its team of five at this exciting time in the Company’s 42-year history. The successful candidate will make meaningful contributions to moving the major gifts donor community to the next level. This professional will focus on the solicitation and stewardship of four- to six-figure gifts from a portfolio of 100-150 committed and passionate existing donors and prospects; will target new supporters; and help cultivate the next generation of donors who will be the future stewards of opera in Boston.
This individual will guide the Board-comprised Orfeo Committee toward enhancing the Company’s robust Orfeo Society, BLO’s core community of supporters.
Additionally, the Major Gifts Officer will spearhead sponsorships and donations for BLO’s annual Gala, and help staff additional events.
We are looking for an individual who appreciates a challenge, demonstrates finesse with relationship management, and has the vision and drive to help build a maturing major gifts program. Your passion and knowledge for the performing arts, opera in particular, will help contribute to your success in this role. Qualified candidates should have the following:
- 5+ years of demonstrated progressive and proven successful fundraising experience with a preference for experience with direct donor solicitations.
- The ability to think strategically, be creative and flexible.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with technology, including experience with fundraising software and/or databases (Tessitura a plus).
This is an events-oriented organization with evening and weekend commitments and the MGO should be excited about actively participating in work at the theatre during production periods and at events throughout the season.
Competitive compensation and benefits.
Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Major Gifts Officer, Boston Lyric Opera, 11 Avenue de Lafayette, Boston, MA 02111-1736 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. NO PHONE INQUIRIES, please.
Boston Lyric Opera is an equal opportunity employer.
Patron Relations Associate
The Patron Relations Associate implements and maintains best practices in development operations including gift processing, data records and donor acknowledgments; and provides event and general administrative support for the Development team and, more broadly, the External Relations team as assigned.
- Enter gifts daily, including online donations, lockbox, checks, ACH, stock, among others
- Coordinate with department staff to ensure accuracy of gift designations
- Enter event tickets, Gala Sponsorships and Gala ticketing
- Write and generate acknowledgment letters. Oversee the filing of correspondence related to gift processing.
- Write and generate ticket turn back letters
- Maintain patron information in database, including gift details, name and address, and other highly confidential and sensitive information
- Manage third-party ticket donation requests
- Assist in departmental mailings
- Supervise volunteers on special projects as needed
- Produce VIP seating reports prior to performances
- Run receivable reports quarterly; process Board statements and invoices
- Provide other administrative support for the Development team as needed
- Track RSVPs and event payments in Tessitura
- Produce name tags, events programs, place cards, or other supplies as needed
- Prepare lists and/or registration technology in preparation of events
- Assist with fundraising components of events including Gala
- Provide support for donor events, including Orfeo Lounges, Opening Nights, and Deconstructing Opera Salons
- Provide coverage for Audience Services phone lines as needed, ticket transactions in Tessitura
- Assist with donor call down fundraising at Fiscal Year end
- Provide support to Executive Assistant for Committee and Board meetings
- Maintain Schedule of External Relations Staff Meetings and minutes as needed
- Assist with special projects as assigned
1-2 years of experience working in a customer service or administrative role, preferable in a nonprofit development position. Candidates must have excellent organizational skills, communication skills (written and verbal), attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, problem-solve, and multi-task. High level of proficiency with technology, including Microsoft Office applications and databases. Experience with Tessitura, a plus. Some evening and weekend work will be required throughout the Season.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, overtime eligible. Salary range competitive and commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits and opportunity for advancement. Boston Lyric Opera is an equal opportunity employer.
Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: Patron Relations Associate Search, Boston Lyric Opera, 11 Avenue de Lafayette, Boston, MA 02111, or email Recruiting@blo.org. No phone inquiries.
Boston Lyric Opera seeks candidates interested in a career in Office management to join BLO and manage an office of 30 employees, with visiting artists, patrons, and seasonal stage management staff. The incumbent will oversee office operations, the front desk/reception, kitchen and BLO’s general office space and manage key office infrastructure and associated vendors including technology, telecommunications and copy/scan equipment .
The incumbent will maintain high customer service standards for all visitors and callers; coordinate office equipment and supply needs; act as liaison with building management; coordinate the company’s volunteer program; and oversee general daily office operational needs. S/he works closely with other department members to insure high quality administrative operations.
B.A. Preferred 2 to 3 years of administrative experience and/or prior office management experience. Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, problem-solve, and multi-task. High level of proficiency with technology. Ability to work both independently and collaboratively. Knowledge and appreciation of the performing arts would be valuable. Occasional evening and weekend work for BLO events.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with demonstrated history of success in similar position.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits and opportunity for advancement.
Email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements with headline of Office Management Search to Recruiting @blo.org. No phone inquiries.
November 15, 2018
STAGE MANAGEMENT INTERN
Boston Lyric Opera is seeking multiple SM interns to support the Stage Management staff. The internship is an educational opportunity for a current student. This part time unpaid internship role is offered on a show-by-show basis, and the schedule will be flexible, based on the student’s availability. The internship involves at least 20 hours per week, with a mix of daytime and evening hours, as well as weekend availability. Proficiency in reading sheet music is required and familiarity with foreign languages (i.e. Italian, German, etc.) is preferred.
We employ a professional Stage Management team consisting of a calling Stage Manager, two ASM’s and an Assistant Director, as well as a Production Assistant.
The SM intern will work alongside the stage management team, providing support during rehearsals through the opening of a production. Duties will include room setups, running lines and notating line notes with singers/performers, standing in for blocking notes when actors/singers are not present, being on headset and general assistance during tech, and other duties as assigned by the SM and ASMs.
The production schedule for the 2018-2019 season is as follows:
THE BARBER OF SEVILLE
Rehearsals: September 17, 2018 to October 2, 2018
Tech Week: October 3, 2018 to October 10, 2018
Opening Performance: October 12, 2018
SCHOENBERG IN HOLLYWOOD
Rehearsals: October 15, 2018 to November 5, 2018
Tech Week: November 6, 2018 to November 13, 2018
Opening Performance: November 14, 2018
THE RAPE OF LUCRETIA
Rehearsals: February 18, 2019 to March 4, 2019
Tech Week: March 5, 2019 to March 10, 2019
Opening Performance: March 11, 2019
THE HANDMAID’S TALE
Rehearsals: April 8, 2019 to April 23, 2019
Tech Week: April 24, 2019 to May 1, 2019
Opening Performance: May 3, 2019
Compensation: A travel stipend
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to (email@example.com) with SM INTERN in subject line. The position is opened until filled.
Founded in 1976, Boston Lyric Opera is recognized for its artistically excellent productions of a diverse repertoire that entertain and inspire audiences and feature emerging operatic talent. BLO’s programs are funded, in part, by a grant from the Massachusetts Cultural Council and the National Endowment for the Arts.
Boston Lyric Opera is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, candidates of color, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.